[EMBOSS] GUI interfaces

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Wed Oct 24 17:58:08 UTC 2007

Hi Nich,

We (UMDNJ) migrated off of GCG several years ago.  We found most of our
users prefer the command-line interface for shell scripting or a web
interface for GUI access from their own computers.

We use EMBOSS-Explorer for the web interface.  Its (much) cleaner and
faster than SeqWeb ever was and doesn't rely on the server storing user
data.  We removed our responsibility of backing user data by moving off
a server storages system to the user instead.  There are no issues with
user account management (username/passwords) with this system either.
With GCG, we would have at least 1 or 2 user issues per month.  Since
the switch, I can honestly say our user issues are maybe 1 or 2 per year.

If you have any questions about this, feel free to email me,

Ryan

Ryan Golhar, PhD
golharam at umdnj.edu
Computational Biologst