[EMBOSS] wrappers4EMBOSS 2.0.0 released

Guy Bottu gbottu at vub.ac.be
Fri Nov 30 11:44:27 UTC 2007

	Dear colleagues,

You might have noticed that the wEMBOSS SourceForge site had not been updated
for quite a while. The reason is the tragic disease and decease of our site
manager and fellow developer Martin Sarachu from the Argentinean EMBnet Node
(see http://www.embnet.org/files/shared/EMBnetNews/embnet_news13_3-high.pdf).
The maintenance of the wEMBOSS project has now resumed and we can announce the
release of a new version 2.0.0 of wrappers4EMBOSS. A new version of wEMBOSS
(with version 2 of wrappers4EMBOSS included) is to be expected for begin 2008.

An important change in wrappers4EMBOSS is that it now uses the EMBASSY module
MYEMBOSS rather then EMBOSS itself for compiling and installing. This has two
advantages : it goes much faster (which can be convenient if you need to redo it
several times) and it avoids overwriting customizations you might have performed
directly in the installed version of EMBOSS rather than in the source
(addressing an issue raised by some users). Problem is that the manual in HTML
format is now installed in .../share/EMBOSS/doc/html/embassy/myseq. A future
version of wEMBOSS will fully address the problem of manual location ; for the
moment users of wEMBOSS and some other GUI's might have to copy the manual
entries "manually" to another location.

There are two new modules : an interface to a local installation of the
InterProScan server and an interface to a local installation of Maarten
Hekkelman's MRS software for indexing databanks. The MRS module contains a
program mrsindexsearch, which is much like the SRS based indexsearch. It also
provides a tool for using a local MRS as sequence databank access mechanism for
EMBOSS and a command line scripting tool. For a complete list of changes, you
can consult the Changelog
http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?group_id=170030&release_id=557931

As far as we know, wrappers4EMBOSS 2.0.0 and wEMBOSS 1.7.1 work well with all
versions of EMBOSS from 3.0.0 to 5.0.0. If you however notice a bug, let us
know. Also, since we do not have an SRS server anymore, we do not have the
expertise for continuing supporting SRS beyond version 8.1 ; if you have a
version 8.2 and notice a need for change in our SRS module, suggestions are welcome.

	Regards,
	Belgian EMBnet Node - wEMBOSS development team,
	Guy Bottu