[EMBOSS] EMBOSS 4.1.0 released

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Thu Mar 8 17:37:34 UTC 2007

> Ryan Golhar wrote:
> > I agree.  I was also expecting the version number on the tarballs to
change
> > as well.  At the moment, there is no way to tell they were updated...
>
> The embassy changes are all minor. We like to use the version numbers
of the
> original code so it is a little difficult to merge in the EMBOSS
version ...
> without making up a very long version number.
>
> Does anyone have strong preferences?

Use the long version number.  That way it is clear at a glance what
goes with what. That is, change this:

EMNU-1.05.tar.gz

EMNU-1.05_for_4.1.0.tar.gz

Inside the .tar it can still unpack into EMNU-1.05.  The trick
is making sure the right variant of EMNU (etc.) is always unpacked
into the matching EMBOSS directory tree.

It would probably also help if both EMBOSS and the EMBASSY programs
had a top level "EMBOSS.VERSION" file, so that the Makefile for
EMBASSY programs could check first thing to verify that they were
in the right place, ie

   diff EMBOSS.VERSION ..

At the moment the "4.x.y" info is relatively inaccessible in configure,
Makefile, and so forth.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu