[EMBOSS] antigenic + valid ambiguity (aa residue) codes (BUG?)

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jun 4 16:48:45 UTC 2007

Fernan Aguero wrote:
> we're running antigenic on a number of sequences
> which contain some ambiguous residues.
>
> It seems like antigenic doesn't like the '*', 'B', 'U', 'Z' and
> 'X' characters in protein sequences.

Which version of EMBOSS are you running? O is now a valid amino acid character.
In earlier releases it was treated as a phylip gap character.

The algorithm in antigenic uses a published table that only has values for the
20 naturally occurring amino acids.

We can add average values for ambiguity codes (weighted). We have no data for U
and O, but we can convert them to X.

In the next release, antigenic will accept any protein sequence.