[EMBOSS] EMBOSS FTP Site Down?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Jan 24 18:05:03 UTC 2007

FTP working is ok for me.

Server side we look OK (open-bio FTP server).

I'm also monitoring the IDS and Firewall alerts in real time due to
some other non-OBF related issues -- the only real FTP issue is that
the intrusion detection appliance thinks that it has seen a few
FTP:EXPLOIT:BOUNCE-ATTACK incursions against the open-bio servers
today. I'm 99% certain that this is a false alarm but I have not
disabled that particular attack signature yet, if your client is
trying odd things and redirections (perhaps to get past a NAT gateway
or firewall) then maybe you are getting caught in this trap.

Random side note:  if anyone tries non-anonymous FTP for longer than
2 minutes with more than 5 failed login attempts then they are
candidates for instant inclusion into a "drop all packets from this
IP" list maintained within the firewall.

Tim - if you send me the IP address of where you are trying to
connect from I can see if there are any messages on our end.

-Chris
open-bio.org