[EMBOSS] need or want to support grid comping?

Jose R. Valverde jrvalverde at cnb.uam.es
Wed Jan 24 09:54:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 00:22:37 -0500
"Ryan Golhar" <golharam at umdnj.edu> wrote:
> Does anyone use (or need) EMBOSS tools to be supported in a web environment
> with grid support?  ie using EMBOSS-Explorer and have the programs execute
> on a grid instead of the web server?
>
> Is anyone currently doing this?
>
> Ryan

There are various people working on this that I can think of right now off
the top of my head:

	- ourselves, we are looking into making the jEMBOSS batch facility
use the Grid (EGEE)
	- the EMBnet node at Mexico is also looking into gridifying EMBOSS
using EELA (on top of EGEE)
	- the Argentina EMBnet node in cooperation with the Belgian EMBnet
node may already have solved the problem by porting wEMBOSS over DRMAA. We
want to look into their approach to see if it works over the GridWay DRMAA
implementation which would mean they had it already solved for EGEE and
Globus at least
	- other initiative may be ongoing within EMBRACE but I believe they
are currently more interested in Web Services.

To the extent I am aware most of these projects are going slowly for a hoard
of fortuitous reasons:
	- we are now busy organizing courses and conferences which delays
our work
	- MX is heating up their development steam
	- AR's Martin Sarachu is fighting a leukaemia

This said, any new hands are welcome. If you are interested we can provide
with all the help and assistance needed and it may turn out to be a trivial
task starting from Martin's work. Just let us know.

Otherwise, I expect this to be ready along this year in one way or another
(or all of them).

	These opinions are mine and only mine. Hey man, I saw them first!

			    José R. Valverde

	De nada sirve la Inteligencia Artificial cuando falta la Natural