[EMBOSS] question!

Jon Ison jison at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jan 23 17:31:02 UTC 2007

Dear FANG

The error message suggests that EMBOSS has not been configured to work with "genbank".
Every database you intend to use must be defined in one of the EMBOSS configuration
files "emboss.default" or ".embossrc".

"emboss.default" lives in the top-level emboss directory (e.g. /home/auser/emboss/emboss.default)
and is used for site-wide databases.

".embossrc" lives in your personal home directory and is used for your own databases (or for testing).

Please read the documentation which describes how to configure database access in these files:
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/docs/themes/Databases.html
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/admin/

Or ask your sysadmin to setup access for you (a better route if the database is a shared resource).

So far as I know, EMBOSS cannot read ensembl directly.

The answer to your last question is "It depends on which databases your installation is configured
to use" (see "emboss.default" and ".embossrc").

Good luck !

Cheers

Jon