[EMBOSS] needle question!

Karen Hayden kehayden at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 19:13:35 UTC 2007

 I have an additional question about needle, as I would like to
actually remove noninformative bases from the final alignment score:

ie.  If the sequence follows
-CATTCNNNCA-
-CATTCAAACA-

With suggested matrix weight changes I would expect to see a 100%
similarity of 10/10 bases
However, it is more informative to me to to see 100% similarity of 7/7
bases (with N no longer aiding my alignment score).  One could imagine
an artificial similarity score inflation if the entire length is used
to generate the score...ie. if 100 bases were being aligned to 100 bp
sequence (containing 10 "Ns"), and then 5 of those bases were an
informative mismatch:

Needle would currently provide:
95/100 (or simply 95% similarity)

But the answer needed would be:
85/90 (or 94.4% similarity).

Does this make sense?
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Karen

--
Karen E. Hayden
Starving Graduate Student