[EMBOSS] Identifying sequence formats.

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Dec 28 10:20:27 UTC 2007

David Martin wrote:
> Is there an easy way of identifying the format of a sequence using EMBOSS?
> It does wonderful autodetect but I'd like to be able to find out what it
> thinks the sequence format is for an arbitrary sequence.

The information is stored so you can craft a little application to print
out the value of the FormatStr attribute.

There may be some oddities .... it automatically switches between
EMBL/SwissProt and FASTA/NCBI formats depending on the first line. Let
us know and we can look to apply corrections.

Season's greetings and all the best for the New Year