[EMBOSS] iep/gifasta

Bernd Web bernd.web at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 20:01:32 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'd like to run iep on a sequence and use either pir or osformat gifasta.
The following gives an error (using emboss 5.0.0 on Debian):

iep -filter -osformat gifasta -sequence seq.txt
This returns "Died: Unknown qualifier -osformat"

iep -filter -sformat pir seq.txt or iep -sformat pir -sequence seq.txt
also give an error:
"Died: iep terminated: Bad value for '-sequence' with -auto defined"
(with or without the sequence flag)

However, iep -sformat fasta seq.txt works. What am I doing wrong?

I'd like output to contain the accession number. I thought -osformat
gifasta was for this purpose.
My FastA definition line is e.g.
>ENSG00000205090|1|protein_coding.
The IEP report would me more useful if it contains the ENSG number
instead of "protein coding or the entire definition line.

How to do this?

Kind regards,
Bernd