[EMBOSS] Problem in profiling water and needle programs in the EMBOSS package

Vivek Menon vivek.menon79 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:53:12 UTC 2007

Hello all,
I am having issues compiling the water and needle programs from the
EMBOSS package.
1. I configured the package with --with-gccprofiling option which
ensured that all the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS are set with -pg option.
-bash-3.00$ ./water
Smith-Waterman local alignment.
Input sequence: ../../ncbi/build/myquery.txt
Second sequence(s): ../../ncbi/build/ecoli.nt
Gap opening penalty [10.0]:
Gap extension penalty [0.5]:
Output alignment [test1.water]:
2. the gmon.out file is created, however I get the foll. message
-bash-3.00$ gprof water gmon.out > gprof_water_ecoli01.txt
gprof: water: not in a.out format

has anyone had this problem??
Thanks in advance,
Vivek