[EMBOSS] case sensitive identifiers - Checked by AntiVir DEMO version -

Guy Bottu gbottu at ben.vub.ac.be
Mon Oct 2 07:58:24 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 09:28:22AM +0100, pmr at ebi.ac.uk wrote:
> For the PDB case, really only the end of the ID is case-sensitive. Do you
> think the database should be case-sensitive for the whole ID, or does it
> make sense to check for a pattern as the case-sensitive part?

I think that trying to define which part of the ID is case-sensitive is
making it just too complicated. Let's have it completely case-sensitive
or not at all.

> EMBOSS will initially read only one sequence for a seqall ... it does not
> read in all the sequences and look for duplicates so we have to decide in
> the emboss.defaults DB definition how to check a single ID (no way to read
> them all and check for duplicates).

Trying to check for duplicates is again too complicated. I understand
that if a databank or a multiple sequence file has duplicates a
"sequence" will retrieve the first and a "seqset" or "seqall" will
retrieve them all. Well, let it be that way. It is the responsability of
the database manager/user to make sure there are no duplicates.

	Guy