[EMBOSS] EMBOSS database setup

Aristotelis Tsirigos tsirigos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 20:17:10 UTC 2006

I just installed EMBOSS on my laptop by compiling the source codes under
cygwin. Then, I tried to follow the online tutorial, but I encountered
several problems. The main problem is that I don't have access to any of the
databases, so I am wondering if there is a need for some kind of
configuration. For example, showdb was initially showing no databases, until
I renamed file ' emboss.default.template' to 'emboss.default'. Then, it
showed some databases such as genbank. But when I used seqret to retrieve an
entry from that database, it doesn't find anything... Is there a need for
database configuration? Is it not possible to access databases remotely? Is
there any tutorial that explains how to properly setup your data?
Thanks!
Aris