[EMBOSS] Solved! Was: X11 version requirement for EMBOSS 3.0.0?

Staffan.X.Bergh at astrazeneca.com Staffan.X.Bergh at astrazeneca.com
Fri May 19 13:47:10 UTC 2006

OK, got the X problem worked around now. Thanks all who answered
(and special thanks to Alan for not blasting my ears off for missing
the FAQ about the Opterons ...)

In summary:

	On our bright new box with 2xOpteron processors, and RedHat
Enterprise Server 3.0, I was trying to compile EMBOSS-3.0.0. I got
strange errors from the linker, like

	skipping incompatible "/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a"

Solution was to upgrade the X libraries: version 4.6.0 Xprg.tgz file
from the Xfree86.org ftp site, install in a convenient location and
then point configure at the new X libraries:

	./configure --x-libraries=/usr/local/X11/lib64/ \
		--x-includes=/usr/local/X11/include/

That solved the compilation problem. Setting Pseudocolor in Exceed
then solved next (and last, I hope) problem:

	Error in XCreatePixmap: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or
	 Window parameter)

The actual reason for the linking problem remains unclear, but I note
that the rpm we had installed (that came with RHEL) had both static
and shared 32bit libraries, but only shared 64bit libraries ... so
maybe something not quite standard happened at RedHat when they made
the rpm ...

cheers /staffan
Staffan Bergh, PhD
Informatics and Logistics, Molecular Pharmacology, AstraZeneca R&D
B209:537, SE-151 81 Södertälje, Sweden
Tel: +46 8 553 215 72
staffan.x.bergh at astrazeneca.com