[EMBOSS] emboss 2.10 'marscan' now silently fails on Mac OS X 10.4

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Jan 18 22:22:30 UTC 2006

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone else has recently had trouble with 'marscan'
in Emboss 2.10 on Apple systems.

I'm trying to track down the root cause for someone who last
successfully ran marscan on an Apple OS X based system in October 2005.

The October run ran just fine. All runs done this week fail silently
with zero size output files created and no error messages whatsoever.

The only difference is that Apple software updates have been applied
to the system.

Today, I built 2.10 from source on OS X 10.4 Tiger Server and was
able to recreate the silent failure.

I then rebuilt 2.10 on my laptop (OS X Tiger 10.4.4) and also have
the same silent failure behavior.

At this point I'm wondering if something in one of the recent Apple
software updates may be the root cause, it really is the only core
thing that changed since October.

Any hints/suggestions? Can others reproduce?

Regards,
Chris Dagdigian