[EMBOSS] how to find unique DNA sequences from a large database

Zheng Jin Tu ztu at msi.umn.edu
Fri Dec 8 01:30:38 UTC 2006

Although these are not the good ways to do,
they are the workable solutions:

First, for each sequence in your database, make
a long string of sequence.  Then use a for loop
scan over your long sequence string with the
window size of your search sequence.  You do
all for each sequences in the database.  It
may take a few days if you need to scan big
databases such as human genome.

The other way is to elongate your short query
to 17 or 21 nt (not sure which is the shortest one
that blast works) long where blast can search.
That means, if you have 15 nt oligo, you can
creat four x four possible 17 nt sequences.
Such as:

   AAACCCGGGC CCTTTAAaa
   AAACCCGGGC CCTTTAAag
   AAACCCGGGC CCTTTAAac
   AAACCCGGGC CCTTTAAat
   AAACCCGGGC CCTTTAAga
   AAACCCGGGC CCTTTAAgg
   AAACCCGGGC CCTTTAAgc
   AAACCCGGGC CCTTTAAgt
   AAACCCGGGC CCTTTAAca
   AAACCCGGGC CCTTTAAct
   AAACCCGGGC CCTTTAAcg
   AAACCCGGGC CCTTTAAcc

Then you run blast and combine all results from
16 17-nt sequences as the hits for your 15 nt
query sequence.

Hope this useful.

Thanks,  TU