[EMBOSS] Antwort: Re: EMBOSS Digest, Vol 13, Issue 4

David.Bauer at SCHERING.DE David.Bauer at SCHERING.DE
Tue Aug 8 06:19:00 UTC 2006

Hi,

1)
If you just start with emboss on windows, why don't you try the latest
version 4.0.0 ?
You can find it in ftp://emboss.open-bio.org/pub/EMBOSS/windows/.

2)
Unfortunately this won't help much, because there seems to be a problem
with emma also in the new windows version.
emma is not a full application, but only an interface to the multiple
alignment program clustalW.
The current windows version of EMBOSS contains an clustalw executable, but
this doesn't work. (Error message I get: "The system cannot execute the
specified program").
I replaced it with the XP executable from
ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/software/dos/clustalw/ but now I'm getting a
different problem.
The clustalw used directly runs without problem. But if called from emma
it complains:
CLUSTAL W (1.83) Multiple Sequence Alignments
Error: unknown option /-infile=00002432A
Error: Failed to open filename '00002432B'
Problem writing out EMBOSS alignment file
clustalw needs just /infile= and not /-infile=

So I guess Alan can resolve what's going on here ;-)

Ciao,
David.

Btw. I could not reproduce the Path overwriting on any generic XP (Pro or
Home) so it has something to do with our local XP installtion but I could
not find the reason so far.