[EMBOSS] Man pages in multiple languages?

pmr at ebi.ac.uk pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jun 3 17:14:08 UTC 2005

Hi Robin,

> are there EMBOSS man pages in other languages than English?
>
> Mandarin and Spanish in particular would help around here.

We don't have man pages exactly. We have a text version of the online
documentation, with the "tfm" program to display to the screen.

To find out why it is called tfm, you can use the command:

tfm tfm

Of course, it prints "The F(antastic) Manual" as in "RTFM"

For other languages, there may be something out there. We are aware of a
Japanese user group that has translated much of the EMBOSS materials. I am
sure there are Mandarin speakers who could create a Mandarin version -
though on the first ever EMBOSS course (in Beijing) ethere was a vote
against creating a Mandarin version of the commandline.

Hope this helps,