[EMBOSS] ramachandran

Peter Robinson Peter.Robinson at t-online.de
Wed Jan 26 20:53:40 UTC 2005

Dear EMBOSS list,

I would like to be able to create a Ramachandran plot from a list of
hundreds or thousands of pairs of psi,phi angles and display this
together with the defined allowed areas. Although this is all pretty
straightforward, I have not been able to find an open source tool with
which to do this and am thinking about reinventing this wheel. So I
wonder:

1) Does anyone know of an open source ramachandran plotter?
2) If not, is there an EMBOSS graphics program which might lend itself
to be adapted to this? I know something about programming nongraphical
applications in EMBOSS thanks to the course given by Alan and Jon and
subsequent experiments, but not too much about the graphical
capabilities. I was thinking of using code as described here
alpha2.bmc.uu.se/gerard/rama/ramarev.html
to define the ramachandran core areas and then a simple graphics routine
to plot the psi/phi pairs from my own datamining expedition as simple
points onto the plot.

Thanks,

Peter N. Robinson
peter.robinson at t-online.de