[EMBOSS] NCBI BLAST under EMBOSS

Guy Bottu gbottu at ben.vub.ac.be
Tue Aug 30 10:17:57 UTC 2005

	Dear Ryan, dear all,

You can download from http://www.wemboss.org/ wrappers4EMBOSS, which
allows to access BLAST (as well as some other software) from under EMBOSS
(as the standard distribution of EMBOSS already does for CLUSTAL and
Primer3). Note by the way that an article about it appeared in EMBnet.news
11(1) (see http://www.embnet.org/download/embnetnews/). Some further
remarks :

- Just putting the blastall program in the EMBOSS .../bin directory and
writing a blastall.acd file will not work well (only fastA format query
sequence accepted, need to write absolute path to databanks in ACD file
since the Web interface has no BLASTDB shell environment variable, etc.).
Better is to write an EMBOSS "wrapper" program that starts by reading the
ACD file and does whatever else is needed. Our "wrapper" can, among other
things, generate on-the-fly from a List of sequences a databank to be
searched.

- Our "wrapper" works well in a terminal and under wEMBOSS. Since the ACD
syntax is quite complex it does not run well under all GUI's. I know that
the old EMBOSS-GUI of Luke did not manage well the hide/unhide of
the parameters. I do not know how EMBOSS Explorer works ; I would like to
hear about it as soon as somebody tested. To make BLAST work under all
GUI's it might, as proposed, be needed to make separate programs for
blastn, blastp, etc.

- The databanks are indeed a problem. An EMBOSS library module that can
find the databanks (as exists in GCG) would be nice. In the mean time, our
wrappers need the databank names in the ACD files. As you will see if you
try, wrappers4EMBOSS asks for the names of the databanks when you install
it. A problem is that whenever you change the collection of databanks on
your site you need to do the installation again or edit manually the ACD
files.

	Hope this helps,
	Guy Bottu,
	Belgian EMBnet Node