[EMBOSS] Negotiating a proxy server

Pierre Scotney pscotney at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 25 07:13:37 UTC 2004

Hello,

I have installed EMBOSS-2.8.0 and using the CLI (while I try to get Jemboss
to work).  I am trying to configure the emboss.defaults file so that I can
access the EMBL and UNIPROT SRS databases at the www.ebi.ac.uk site.  I have
read the Administrators guide and I am unsure if I should use SRSWWW or URL
methods for access.  I have set the entry in emboss.default to:

DB embl [ type: N method: srswww format: embl release: EBI
   dbalias: embl
   url: "http://srs.ebi.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wgetz"
   comment: "EMBL from EBI"
   ]

DB uniprot [ type: P method: srswww format: swiss release: EBI
   dbalias: uniprot
   url: "http://srs.ebi.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wgetz"
   comment: "UNIPROT from EBI"
   ]

but then I try

$ seqret -sequence embl:AL627275 -outseq embl_AL627275
Reads and writes (returns) sequences
Error: Unable to read sequence 'embl:AL627275'
Died: seqret terminated: Bad value for '-sequence' and no prompt

This problem is compounded by the fact that I have to access the internet
via a proxy server which I have SET emboss_proxy "myproxyserver:8080" in the
emboss.default file.  The problem is the proxy server normally requires a
username and password (which works for the Galeon browser).  Who can I get
EMBOSS to issue a username and password to the proxy server for
authentification?

I apologise for so many questions.

Regards

--