[EMBOSS] incorporating old code in 2.9.0

Derek Gatherer d.gatherer at vir.gla.ac.uk
Fri Jul 23 09:52:11 UTC 2004

Hi

I have some local legacy code (written by a predecessor around 2000), which
was successfully incorporated in 2.8.0.  I used to get the CVS version of
EMBOSS, stick the local *.c and *.acd in the relevant places, modify the
Makefile.am, then run aclocal -I m4, autoconf -v, automake -a and then a
configure, make and make install as usual.

However, the old code is now failing at make with 2.9.0.  The errors are
slightly different for each but all are incompatible types in assignment.

For instance, with one I get:

incompatible type for argument 2 of `ajSeqReplace'

and another:

incompatible type for argument 1 of `ajStrChar'

Is this because something has changed in nucleus/ajax etc which precludes
the use of the old code?

The only other thing that I think might be relevant is that I've recently
upgraded my compiler to gcc-3.3.2, from a seriously old version.  I'm still
using autoconf-2.57 and automake-1.7.5.

I can provide further details if this is not enough to diagnose.

Cheers
Derek

Derek Gatherer Ph.D. Cert.Ed.
Computer Officer