[EMBOSS] can't access databases indexed by dbifasta

Marcus Claesson m.claesson at student.ucc.ie
Wed Feb 18 13:40:43 UTC 2004

I entered a 'field' in both dbifasta and emboss.defaults and it works
now! This is what I did (I have one last tiny question in the end):

[blast_db]$ dbifasta -fields des
Index a fasta database
    simple : >ID
     idacc : >ID ACC
     gcgid : >db:ID
  gcgidacc : >db:ID ACC
      dbid : >db ID
      ncbi : | formats
ID line format [idacc]: ncbi
Database directory [.]:
Wildcard database filename [*.dat]: ecoli.nt
Database name: ecoli_nt
Release number [0.0]:
Index date [00/00/00]:

in emboss/emboss.defaults:
DB ecoli_nt [
   type: N
   format: fasta
   method: emblcd
   dir:
   indexdir:
   file: ecoli.nt
   fields: des
]

[blast_db]$ showdb
Displays information on the currently available databases
# Name        Type ID  Qry All Comment
# ====        ==== ==  === === =======
ecoli_nt      N    OK  OK  OK  -

Now this works:
[marcus]$ seqret ecoli_nt:NC_0012\*
>NC_001224.1 NC_001224.1 Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondrion,
complete genome
TTCATAATTAATTTTTTATATATATATTATATTATAATATTAATTTATATTATAAAAATA
ATATTTATTATTAAAATATTTATTCTCCTTTCGGGGTTCCGGCTCCCGTGGCCGGGCCCC
GGAATTATTAATTAATAATAAATTATTATTAATAATTATTTATTATTTTAT

But this doesn't work and I don't know why since I added the 'des
field'. Are queries like these suppose to work by the way?

[marcus]$ seqret ecoli_nt:\*mitochondrio\* -auto -stdout
Error: Unable to read sequence 'ecoli_nt:*mitochondrio*'
Died: seqret terminated: Bad value for '-sequence' with -auto defined

Thanks for all help so far!

Marcus