[EMBOSS] can't access databases indexed by dbifasta

Marcus Claesson m.claesson at student.ucc.ie
Tue Feb 17 15:23:32 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have now changed emboss/emboss.defaults to:

SET $emboss_db_dir /var/data/blast_db

DB ecoli.nt [
   type: "N"
   format: "fasta"
   method: "emblcd"
   dir: "$emboss_db_dir"
   indexdir: "$emboss_db_dir"
   file: "ecoli.nt"
]

And get the same negative result:

[marcus]$ showdb
Displays information on the currently available databases
# Name        Type ID  Qry All Comment
# ====        ==== ==  === === =======
ecoli.nt      N    OK  OK  OK  -

[marcus]$ seqret ecoli.nt
Reads and writes (returns) sequences
Error: failed to open filename 'ecoli.nt'
Error: Unable to read sequence 'ecoli.nt'
Died: seqret terminated: Bad value for '-sequence' and no prompt

I find this very strange! If you don't know what's wrong would you know
anywhere else I can get help with this?

Thanks again.

Marcus