[EMBOSS] Linux for bioinformatics: Name change. BioShell now is DNALinux

Sebastian Bassi sbassi at telefax.com.ar
Sat Feb 14 03:49:15 UTC 2004

About a month ago I posted an announce regarding Bioshell. A Linux
distro based on a LiveCD (Slax). Thank to people at IGH and Quilmes
National University, I put it online.
Here is the official announce:

(Quilmes, Argentina). GenesDigitales is releasing the first public
version of a linux distribution oriented toward life science users:
DNALinux 0.13.
     It is based on a reduced version of Slackware Linux (Slax) with
bioinformatic software and genome data included. One key feature of
DNALinux is that works as a LiveCD, that is, without making any
permanent change on the hard disk. The distro could be tested or used
without any risk of data loss. It also could be installed as a regular
Linux if you want (check the FAQ at www.dnalinux.com for details).
     Here is the list of bioinformatics programs:

BLAST
EMBOSS-2.8.0
T-COFFEE_distribution_Version_1.37
abacus-0.63
arka-0.11
avid
big_mac
cap3
clustalx1.81.linux
e-pcr
efmc
hmmer-2.3.2.bin.intel-linux
ncbi
paml3.12
primer3_0_9_test

     Sequence data included (on BLAST format):

Arabidopsis Thaliana (aa).
Drosophila Malanogaster (aa)
Escherichia Coli (aa).

     This is a fist release, so there is a lot of things to improve. We
are working in the next major release, set for April/May 2004. If you
want to check this version, please take a look at www.dnalinux.com,
where you could download DNALinux (free registration requiered).

DNALinux team at GenesDigitales: info at genesdigitales.com

                 http://Bioinformatica.info