[EMBOSS] Using Mirror and SynCron to update databases

Henrikki Almusa henrikki.almusa at helsinki.fi
Mon Sep 29 10:19:17 UTC 2003

On Monday 29 September 2003 12:52, Nancy Yu wrote:
> I'm having problems with Mirror and I don't know where else to get help. I
> installed Mirror according to instructions in SynCron (after reading README
> from ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/embl/new), and tested it with the "mirror
> -n" option.  I find that with some ftp sites it connects just fine; for
> other sites Mirror cannot get a list of the target remote directory content
> and times out; and other times it lists the target directory as empty, when
> that directory actually has files in it.

Home page for mirror is "http://sunsite.org.uk/packages/mirror/" There is a
patch for ftp.pl, which fixes this kind of bug. I had similar problems and
they were fixed with this. It also has a kind of security fix. And a lot of
info on options in mirror (lke the html pages that comes with mirror).

> Does this have to do with the setting of my mirror.defaults file or with
> the different ftp sites?? Do people use other scripts/programs to keep
> their local databases updated?  Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

I have my own perl script which uses mirror for downloading some databases
(wget has some negative sides for my situation). I did this simply to
automatically do indexes for emboss and others (and to save some space on
hard drive as well).

Hope this helps
--
Henrikki Almusa