Use two Emboss package with one database

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Wed May 21 08:59:18 UTC 2003

yann-francois.bizouerne at bayercropscience.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working with 2 diffretns servers on different locations. On each of them a
> EMBOSS package tools is installed.
> I need to know if I could configure these 2 EMBOSS in order to work with the
> same database (which is located on one of the two servers).
> Is EMBOSS could working this way or does I need to have only one EMBOSS package
> (tools + databse) installed on one server ?

Yes ... but you need to do some work.

The EMBOSS package on the same server as the databases is easy.

The second EMBOSS package needs to read from remote databases. I assume
you indexed them with dbiflat (an the other dbi programs).

You can access a remote database by:

SRSWWW if it on an SRS server
URL if you have a web page to query the database
APP (EXTERNAL) if yuo have a script that can return an entry

Assuming you don't have them under SRS ...

You can provide a simple web CGI script that runs entret (for whole
entry) or seqret (for sequence only - you can put -osformat on the
command line to get the format of your choice))

You can write a script that will access the databases somehow (possibly
also by talking to a web page - your choice).

Meanwhile, I am working on ways to define EMBOSS web services and data
services that would give an alternative access method, but that is for
later in the year.

Hope this helps,