needle: Strictly global alignment?

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jun 13 15:58:52 UTC 2003

Jan T. Kim wrote:
> Dear EMBOSSers,
>
> it seems to me that the alignment computed by needle is not a global
> alignment in the strict sense of the term, because the terminal gaps
> are not penalized.
>
> In the literature, a global alignment in which terminal gaps are not
> scored is called a semiglobal alignment.
>
> If my analysis is correct, I suggest to change the documentation
> accordingly. In addition, it would be nice to extend the needle program
> such that a global alignment sensu stricto can be carried out.

Sorry, but the literature from computer science and maths does not match
reality for biological sequences.

Remember that you have no information that either sequence is complete.

In bioinformatics, a global alignment is one which spans the full
extents of the input sequences (e.g. Baxevanis & Ouellette (2001)
"Bioinformatics" 2nd edition p189. There is no biological reason to
penalise terminal gaps.

And of course, for many biological purposes, a local alignment is what
makes sense.

... Though we could add terminal gaps as an option for those rare cases
where it could be useful. I note that stretcher also does not score
terminal gaps.

Hope this helps,