wrapper for Perl scripts within EMBOSS

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jul 17 14:38:10 UTC 2003

Peter Ernst wrote:
> I think I am missing the point in this strategy.
>
> What is the advantage of having a C-Emboss wrapper around a Perl
> program, if you do not use any of the ACD features (eg. reading
> sequences)?

It depends on how you run it.

In Martin Senger's SoapLab interface, third party applications
(including perl scripts) are defined by ACD files. These are used to
automatically define the SOAP interface, and SoapLab handles conversion
of the sequence types into something the third party application can use
(Martin defines special "comment" attributes in his ACD files for this).

But ... in SoapLab ACD is only used to define the interface ... SoapLab
and the third party applications do not read the ACD file at run time.

It would be fun, though, to be able to use ACD directly in perl.

Hmmm ... I wonder ...