XML output format

Graziano P. areagp61 at yahoo.it
Tue Jul 1 15:48:47 UTC 2003

Hi all,
I am evaluating the possibility to make a parsing of the output of all the EMBOSS algorithms.
I have found 4 different type of output:
-sequences in different formats (transeq, seqret, etc);
-tables (like fuzznuc, iep, etc.)
-not specific format (like antigenic, remap, etc.)
-postcript or graphycal output.
It is very difficult analyzing and extracting information from this type of output. I think that an XML output format for each algorithm would be very useful. NCBI Blast also have an option to convert the output results in XML format. Moreover, there is a "bio-XML" called BSML (Bioinformatic Sequence Markup Language) able to describe bioinformatic sequences.
Is EMBOSS going to make available in a future release this feature? If no, are there reasons to ignore the power of XML?

Regards

Graziano