Revseq

Gary Williams, Tel 01223 494522 gwilliam at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Apr 7 10:04:42 UTC 2003

The example of a standard FASTA input file is in:
http://www.emboss.org/Themes/SequenceExamples/fasta

The full set of input sequence formats is described in:
http://www.emboss.org/Themes/SequenceFormats.html#in

To reverse and complement a set of sequences that are in separate FASTA
files, for example '*.seq'

revseq '*.seq' result.seq

This writes the results to a single file holding many sequences.

Note that you should put the *.seq in quote marks if you specify it on
the command line to stop the shell trying to expand the '*' for you.

I prefer to output a set of sequences like this to a single file,
because the resulting file name is then known and can be handled easily
by scripts, but you may need to run non-EMBOSS programs on the results
which might not be able to read in a file containing many FASTA format
sequences - they may require one sequence per file.

If you prefer to deal with many resulting sequence files, use the
qualifier '-ossingle' which will force the output sequence to be written
to individual files, each named using the ID name of the input sequence:

revseq '*.seq' result.seq -ossingle

You can specify other parts of the output file name using:
-osextension reversed                 to specify the extension name as
'reversed'
-osdirectory out		to specify the output directory

Run 'revseq -help -verbose' for further information.

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Williams               Tel: +44 1223 494522  Fax: +44 1223 494512
mailto:G.Williams at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk            http://www.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/