database help

Thomas Keller kellert at ohsu.edu
Thu Apr 3 21:43:21 UTC 2003

Greetings,
The sysadmin for the machine with GCG installed, was kind enough to
allow me to mount the gcg databases maintained at my institution. This
should save me a lot of headaches, yet allow me the convenience of
using them with EMBOSS on my machine. But I am unsure how to make them
available to EMBOSS. Is there some general documentation on database
formats and the steps required for use with emboss? The database
documentation doesn't cover this particular case.
I'm unsure, for example, if I would put "method: gcg" for all of these?
would I need to run formatdb on the blast dbs? general stuff like that.
The directory structure looks like this:
gcgnrl3d
gcgswissprot
gcgsrs
gcgpir