Bug in seqret in EMBOSS 2.4.1 ?

simon andrews (BI) simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue May 28 08:40:46 UTC 2002

I think I've found a problem with seqret in v2.4.1.  It's failing to fetch
sequences from EBIs SRS system, which fetch fine when I use seqret from
v2.2.0.

My setup in emboss.default is this:

DB embl [
        type: N
        method: url
        format: embl
        url:
"http://srs.ebi.ac.uk/srs6bin/cgi-bin/wgetz?-e+[EMBLRELEASE-ACC:%s]"
        comment: "EBI EMBL ACs"
]

Using this under 2.4.1 produces:

$ seqret embl:z83307
Reads and writes (returns) sequences
Error: Unable to read sequence 'embl:z83307'
$

...and the same thing under 2.2.0 gives:

$ seqret embl:z83307
Reads and writes (returns) sequences
Output sequence [hsa1280.fasta]:
$

Running the latest seqret with -debug shows that the sequence is fetched
(you can see it being parsed), but that it is the format recognition at the
end which fails.  The last bits of the debug file are at the bottom of this
message.

Is this a bug in seqret, or do I need to update the format of my
emboss.default file?

Thanks for any help

Simon.

##################################

:[1]      agatgaaaaa ggggagaacc atattatttt ggtcaaaata ttgtggtcca caagcatatg
21960
:[1]      ctccagttag tttctttctt gaataaaggc tttttattgt catgtaaaca caagctgtgt
22020
:[1]      gcacatgatc aaaatatttt aaaactaaaa ataatttatg aaaaaatatt cttccttgat
22080
:[1]      ttcaacctgc ctgtacttat ttttaataca aatatatcta ggataaaaga tactattata
22140
:[1]      caaatgcatg atcaaggaag atgtcagaaa ggttaacggg gtcaagaaaa gctgtaacac
22200
:[1]      tcatagagta atatccatac agaactattc cttagtatcc atgggaccca gcc
22253
:[1] //
removing '</pre>' [1]
leaving '''
'
<blank line deleted> [1]
<blank line deleted> [1]
:[1] 0
<blank line deleted> [1]
seqRead: seqin format 3 'embl'
ajFeattableDel 0
ajFileBuffNoBuff  buffsize: 492
++seqRead known format 3
++seqReadFmt format 3 (embl) 'embl:z83307' feat No
seqReadEmbl first line '620
'
Format 3 (embl) failed, file buffer reset by seqReadFmt
++seqReadFmt failed - nothing read
seqRead: (b2) seqReadFmt stat == FAIL *failed*
ajFeattableDel 0
seqRead failed - try again with format 3 'embl'
++seqReadFmt format 3 (embl) 'embl:z83307' feat No
seqReadEmbl first line '620
'
Format 3 (embl) failed, file buffer reset by seqReadFmt
++seqReadFmt failed - nothing read
seqRead: (b3) seqReadFmt stat == FAIL *failed*
Failure for option 'sequence'