Using method: app for seq retrieval

simon andrews (BI) simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Jan 22 08:20:09 UTC 2002

Gene,

I've done this successfully, using the following entry in emboss.default,
where allmus is a perl script which returns a fasta file.

DB allmus [
        type: N
        method: app
        format: fasta
        app: "/usr/users/andrewss/bin/allmus"
        comment: "Farm of all Mouse Genomic seqs" ]

The database and sequence name will automatically be passed to the script
with this setup.  They will be passed in the form "database:accession".
Since I've made my script pretty generic, I use the following snippet to
extract the accession code from what is passed to the script;

my ($reference) = @ARGV;

if ($reference =~ /:(.+)$/){
  $reference = $1;
}

else {
  die "\n*** ERROR *** Couldn't get accession after : from $reference\n\n";
}

You just then need to use $reference to find your sequence and print it to
STDOUT.  I seem to also remember that you have to have the accession number
requested at the start of the fasta header, otherwise you get an error
saying the file could not be found. So if you ask for

	"seqret script:cheese"

You have to return a file looking like:

	>cheese .....
	AGCTAGC...