blast frontend?

Peter Rice peter.rice at uk.lionbioscience.com
Wed Feb 27 13:48:11 UTC 2002

Guy Bottu wrote:
> An easy way to integrate applications under EMBOSS is certainly welcome.
> Parsing the ACD file and writing a command line is however not enough.
> It should be possible to take sequences and other data in EMBOSS
> style and pass them over in the appropriate format to the application.

This is where things get just a little complicated. We need to convert, for
example, the input sequence into a format blast can use. Fortunately a
simple conversion to FASTA format will work for most applications (either
directly, or by piping in the output of seqret ... though if it is from
stdin a little care may be needed).

A list of possible third party applications would be helpful. blast and
fasta as starters I assume.