blast frontend?

Peter Rice peter.rice at uk.lionbioscience.com
Wed Feb 27 09:54:47 UTC 2002

Charles Plessy wrote:

> Is there somewhere in emboss a blast frontend that would allow to call
> (t)blastn,p,x with USA as input parameter, and/or being asked
> questions interactively ?

Not yet ... but I did make plans some time back to integrate 3rd party
applications under an ACD interface. We have this with emma (clustalw) and
eprimer3 (primer3) but they gather up the oprions and make an internal
system call. The idea was to run something like 'acdc' (nothing more than
an embInit call) that simply runs through the ACD interface and then starts
up a program. For blast this means renaming command line options, and it
stalled a little on how to specify the new command line ... but really that
just needs a simple specification and a simple parser. This application
even had a name: emboss (so you could run 'emboss blastp' for example).

If there is interest, we could revive this.