png trouble

Steiner, Guido {PRBT~Basel} GUIDO.STEINER at Roche.COM
Fri Feb 15 08:04:54 UTC 2002

After having installed EMBOSS 2.2.0 with png support on SGI IRIX 6.5 (finally with success :) I may add another thing to watch out in case some
SGI users face the same problems than I did.
If you have the graphics libraries (like libgd) installed in a directory other than /usr/freeware/lib64 (or /usr/freeware/lib32), don't forget to modify the
hardcoded library path in the EMBOSS configure file (line 4624, see SGI porting notes at http://www.sgi.com/solutions/sciences/chembio/resources/emboss/porting_notes.html )
accordingly and _remove_ the reference to /usr/freeware if you don't need any library from there, otherwise all EMBOSS applications produce runtime
linking errors, no matter what you've specified in the --with-pngdriver option. This cost me some hours to find out, as I was no longer aware of the patching
I did in the first place and presumed the error would be in a completely different place.

Guido Steiner