EMBOSS

Brian Osborne brian_osborne at cognia.com
Thu Dec 19 21:09:21 UTC 2002

EMBOSSers,

I'm pleased to report that EMBOSS 2.5.1 compiles and installs cleanly on
cygwin ("CYGWIN_NT-5.0 1.3.17(0.67/3/2) 2002-11-27 18:54 i686 unknown") from
www.cygwin.org. I've only used a few of the EMBOSS programs but I'd be very
surprised if any didn't work, cygwin handles standard languages with no
difficulty.

For those of you who haven't run across cygwin it's a Unix emulator running
on Windows machines. The package contains most common Unix utilities as well
as a C compiler, support for Perl and Python, apache, many standard
libraries, ssh, cvs, emacs, tcsh/zsh, and so on. Connecting to mysql and
Oracle is also possible, I do it myself, but setting it up can be a little
trickier than on Unix machines. Installing cygwin creates a set of
directories in the Windows filesystem that look just like Unix directories
by name but behave like regular Windows folders. Installation is very easy.
It's free and its performance is very good, it should be recommended to
those who want to use EMBOSS on Windows machines.

Thanks once again for your excellent work,

Brian O.

Brian Osborne
Director of Informatics
Cognia http://www.cognia.com