emma or clustalw problem?

Sebastian Bassi sebastian.bassi at ar.advantaseeds.com
Thu Dec 5 13:04:59 UTC 2002

Hi,

Sometimes the problems like this occurs when the program is expecting a UNIX formated text file and you put a windows style text file. I have had the inverse problem, I have downloaded a genome fasta file from the NCBI and the program I was using to handle it was unable to open it, since it expected a windows style text file and the downloaded file was with Unix format. The EOL character is different.
There's a Windows program called CONVERT, it works as a pop up menu, just click the file with secondary button and select CONVERT TO (3 options, UNIX, PC or MAC). If you are using UNIX, there are some comand line utilities to do this (in Solaris is already built in).
I don't know if EMBOSS have problem with this.

ERROR: Could not open sequence file 5511A

No. of seqs. read = -1. No alignment!
Error: failed to open filename 5511B
Problem writing out EMBOSS alignment fileSegmentation fault

-mat