network USA

David Winterbourne sghk100 at sghms.ac.uk
Fri Apr 19 15:19:15 UTC 2002

David Martin wrote:

> Try 'method: url' and using %s instead of $ID. It has been there from
> EMBOSS 0.0.4 to
> allow retrieval from remote srs servers (or indeed any arbitrary web
> address where the id can be passed in the url).

I have been having a problem accessing the Swiss Prot database using this method. I set up URL based access
to SWISSPROT and EMBL databases at EBI as follows:

DB sw [ type: P method: url format: swiss
url: "http://srs.ebi.ac.uk/srs6bin/cgi-bin/wgetz?-e+[SWISSPROT:%s]"
DB embl [ type: N method: url format: embl
url: "http://srs.ebi.ac.uk/srs6bin/cgi-bin/wgetz?-e+[EMBL-id:%s]"

For an EMBL entry, using the URL in a browser and specifying it in EMBOSS accesses the data. However, the
equivalent for Swiss Prot works in a browser but not  in EMBOSS - it just causes the system to hang. Is
there a simple solution?

Regards
David
--