GUI for EMBOS

January Weiner 3 jweiner1 at ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Mar 22 12:03:15 UTC 2001

Hello,
	I have created a small program called 'Arka'. It was thought as a
	GUI frontend for a small pack of EMBOSS-like tools I have created
	on my own, but it can serve as well as a GUI for any command-line
	programs.

	Arka reads a text file with the descriptions of the program you'd
	like to use, and makes a menu entry for the program. Then, if you
	select the menu, it gives you a dialog with all the options you
	have put in the description file. The format of the description
	file is right now a little messy, you can take a look at the
	description file for my command line programs, but basically it is
	quite extendable and flexible. The next version of arka will have a
	gui for creating the spec files. Right now it is something between
	an alpha and a beta version, and I'd like to know whether anybody
	is interested in it at all.

	Arka is nothing very complicated, but as with all my programs, I
	wanted it to be fast and resource-friendly, and independent of
	GNOME or any other bloated environments. It is written in C with
	Gtk+ and runs quickly on a 486. It is something in between a real
	GUI and command line. A smart `crouch' that remembers the options,
	that's all.

	More information + download (source / rpms):
	http://www.bioinformatics.org/genpak/

	BTW arka is GPLed, of course.

	Best regards,
	January

Did you hear about the biologist who had twins?
She baptized one and kept the other as a control.