Farm files for databases

Peter Rice peter.rice at uk.lionbioscience.com
Wed Dec 19 15:16:46 UTC 2001

"simon andrews (BI)" wrote:

> I have an application which returns an identifier (effectively an
> accession number), which could be present in any one of 4 separate
> EMBOSS databases.
> I'd like to be able to search all of these databases and retrieve the
> sequence from whichever one finds it (I know that the identifiers are
> unique between the different databases - so I'll only ever find one
> entry).

This sounds like a job for SRS, although the query could be complicated if
there is a possibility of getting more than one copy returned.

A script is a good solution. The script should read the dbname:id query
from the commandline, and return the sequence in some specified format.
What the script does is up to you.

If there is no sequence found, it can simply return nothing.

The original 'external' applications were the 'efetch' utility in acedb,
and GCG's 'typedata'.