phylogenic analysis with emboss

Guy Bottu gbottu at ben.vub.ac.be
Tue Dec 18 09:34:43 UTC 2001

from : BEN

>I was wondering which tools you used for phylogenic analysis, since I can't
>find any treedrawing in either emboss or embassy's phylip.

If I am not wrong, the EMBOSS on-line help states explicitly that the tree
drawing programs and the tree editors of PHYLIP were not included in the embassy
PHYLIP. So, you should retrieve the original PHYLIP package from
evolution.genetics.washington.edu and use the programs drawgram and drawtree.
Note that while embassy has integrated PHYLIP version 3.53c, there is now a
version 3.6a2, which is definitively better. drawgram/drawtree has now for
previewing the graphic an X-display and the generated PostScript files can not
only be send directly to a printer, but can also be incorporated into documents
like MS-Word doc files.

Another useful freeware tool I know about is NJplot, which is distributed
together with CLUSTAL (which you must install anyway in order emma to work).

	Guy Bottu