EMBOSS on OS X

Johann Visagie johann at egenetics.com
Wed Apr 11 07:35:11 UTC 2001

And Richard Phelps wrote (to me personally):

> How might I install emboss on Mac Os X??

Well, personally, I think I've touched the keyboard of a Mac maybe five times
in my life (they're not common here at all), so it's highly unlikely I'll
have the pleasure of using MacOS X any time soon.

However:

- It would be interesting to know how easily an application with a relatively
  GNUish installation process compiles and installs on OS X.  I would
  personally be very interested in feedback.  (Shouldn't be too difficult by
  all reports.)

- Secondly, there is a project underway (though it's in its early stages yet)
  to unify packaging systems across a number of BSD-based operating systems,
  including OS X.  In fact, Wilfredo Sanches, the former design lead on OS X,
  is a developer on this project.  Should their work come to fruition, it's
  possible that the existing FreeBSD port could eventually serve as the basis
  for installing EMBOSS on OS X as well.  :-)  See:

    http://www.openpackages.org/

-- Johann