Another update of EMBOSS FreeBSD port

Johann Visagie johann at egenetics.com
Fri Sep 8 12:16:35 UTC 2000

Through a series of circumstances, the FreeBSD EMBOSS port got broken today:

- I submitted an update to 1.4.0 about two weeks ago.
- It was only committed yesterday.
- The EMBOSS people removed the 1.4.0 distfile off the master FTP server.
- The FreeBSD distfile mirrors had not yet had the chance to grab it.

Ergo:  broken port.  I submitted an update of the port to 1.5.0, and pulled
what strings I have available to get it chased through:

The new update also adds David Martin's Norwegian ftp mirror - which keeps
older versions - to MASTER_SITES, so the same problem is unlikely to occur
again.

EMBOSS people:  Since EMBOSS uses GNU configure, can it maybe honour
configure-time variables (datadir, sysconfdir, etc.) instead of having these
hard-coded?  I'm currently still patching the port also to look for
emboss.default in ${PREFIX}/etc - it would be much easier to set this at
configure time!

Of a previous EMBOSS port update I wrote:

> Still do do:
>
> - Set some defaults in emboss.default.sample which are consistent with
>   FreeBSD diectory hierarchy before intstalling it.
>
> - Install the scripts (and other bits?) to /usr/local/share/examples/EMBOSS
>
> - Create necessary directory structure under /var/db for the user who wants
>   to host databases locally (I need to investigate & understand better what's
>   going on myself first! :-)

FreeBSD-bio people:  These are all _still_ on the to-do list.  Any help or
suggestions would be appreciated, esp. from people actually using EMBOSS on a
more regular basis!

-- Johann