EMBOSS 1.8.0

ableasby at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk ableasby at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Nov 27 17:56:07 UTC 2000

>meme.h is missing in the distribution tar
Rats! I'll fix that tonight.

ORBit: Yes indeed, it will have to generate the hooks on
the fly and not be tied to any particular orb. But I
had to mention the code was there as someone was bound to
comment :-) OK. Here is the reason that code is there.....
We're rewriting the internal feature code at the moment to
use a different internal representation. That representation
must be able to deal with the biocorba idl. Peter is
working on the features and its so we can all make sure
everything meshes. The code that is there now will not
be used by any applications.

Structure: a very hairy problem. Ever tried downloading the
SCOP flatfile and tried to find out what the numbers refer
to? You end up parsing the html files. The numbers change
between releases. PDB is another horrible problem. If the
library is to be speedy and consistent it will have to
use a partially cleaned PDB. We've constructed that but its
sevral gigs. We will also be providing the ability to read
most of the PDB files but there is only one parser in
existence that can cope with all files (that I know of.. its
by Kim Henrick) and that is enormous.

Alan