EMBOSS has moved to HGMP

ableasby at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk ableasby at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Sat Jul 15 22:29:33 UTC 2000

Dear EMBOSS folk,

Yes, EMBOSS has indeed moved. Please note the new address for the
web pages. It is:
      http://www.uk.embnet.org/Software/EMBOSS    or if you prefer
      http://www.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/Software/EMBOSS   they are the same address.

Similarly the ftp server becomes:
      ftp://ftp.uk.embnet.org/pub/EMBOSS          or
      ftp://ftp.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/pub/EMBOSS

Why the move? It is because Peter Rice and Ian Longden have both just gone
into the commercial sector. Peter has gone to Lion and Ian to Informatica.
This left noone at Sanger with the experience to maintain EMBOSS
therefore it finds a welcome home with the HGMP developers. I surely
speak for all of us when I thank Peter and Ian for their work...
although Peter will still be active with EMBOSS from the Lion point
of view so this is neither an obituary or E.J. Thribb poem. Both
still have their Sanger usernames intact for now.

And so on to the changes. You will notice a different look and feel
to the web pages. This is in preparation for the imminent
announcement of Release 1.0.0. You will see this reflected in the
filename of EMBOSS on the ftp server. It is EMBOSS-1.0.0.tar.gz

N.B: As of this distribution there is an extra 'emboss' directory
 level at the top. This is to allow the --prefix configuration
 option to (optionally) install directories there.

The instructions for use of the CVS server have also changed. Please
read the new instructions on the web pages if you use this method.
This server also has the extra directory mentioned above. Also note
that there is no alias for cvs.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk at the moment i.e.
cvs.uk.embnet.org will not work but the former will.

The mail list addresses have changed accordingly. They are:
       emboss at uk.embnet.org
       emboss-dev at uk.embnet.org      or

       emboss at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
       emboss-dev at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk

All the subscription addresses have been moved over. The majordomo
server at our site works in the same way as on the Sanger site.

N.B.: Until the Sanger site change their links to redirect to HGMP
      their site is still active. It is not being updated though.
      To get the latest updates you must use the new addresses.

I am bound to have forgotten something as we've all had to work
like demons to move things over and get to a stage where we can
advertise release 1.0.0. I will post if anything important springs
to mind.

Finally, it is St Swithins Day so, if the new service works today
it will probably work for the next 40. If not you can always email:

      emboss-bug at uk.embnet.org      or
      emboss-bug at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk

Cheers

Alan