[emboss-dev] Merging EMBOSS & -dev mailing list; retiring -announce, -bug, -submit lists?

Peter Rice ricepeterm at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 17 13:56:51 UTC 2018

Dear PeterC,

Yes, that sounds fine. You can retire the emboss-announce and
emboss-submit lists.

By the way, my Imperial email address will vanish in the near future, so
best to use my ricepeterm at yahoo.co.uk address

I would also like to pursue the migration to github. It was stalled by
hoping for a chance to port the old CVS repository rather than starting
again from scratch to preserve the crediting of previous contributors.

Is there a copy available?

regards,

Peter

On 17/01/2018 11:32, Peter Cock wrote:
> Dear Peter Rice (BCC'd) & the EMBOSS community,
>
> CC: OBF Board
>
> As you may have noticed, the OBF hosted mailman server
> was having problems late last year:

> With server changes made in January, mailman seems to
> be coping for now. However, right now, any non-member
> emails received are SILENTLY DISCARDED.
>
> The OBF is looking seriously at moving to a paid hosted
> mailman instance to replace our volunteer administered
> Amazon hosted mailman server. As part of this, we would
> need to consolidate or close many of the existing lists:

> Currently there are five EMBOSS lists,
>
> EMBOSS – EMBOSS mailing list (archive)
> emboss-announce – EMBOSS Announcements (Releases, etc.) (archive)
> emboss-bug – EMBOSS Bug Reports and Support Requests (private archive)
> emboss-dev – EMBOSS Development Discussion (Open to all) (archive)
> emboss-submit – EMBOSS submissions – new packages and apps (private archive)
>
> If there are no objections, we will close the emboss-dev list,
> after migrating its current subscribers to the main emboss list:
>
> http://mailman.open-bio.org/pipermail/emboss-dev/
> http://mailman.open-bio.org/pipermail/emboss/
>
> We are in the process of similar changes for the other OBF
> hosted projects, for example I did Biopython last week:
>
> http://mailman.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython/2018-January/016339.html
>
> We would be happy to leave the announcement list running
> for now, but it would likely be retired as part of any hosting
> migration (likewise for all the other OBF project specific
> announcement lists).
>
> The last two lists, emboss-bug and emboss-submit, seem
> better suited to an issue tracker and GitHub (separately
> we would like to help EMBOSS' move to GitHub).
>
> Thank you,
>
> Peter
>
> (Speaking here as a representative of the OBF Board,
> although I have been an occasional EMBOSS contributor too)

---
http://www.avg.com