[emboss-dev] Moving EMBOSS from OBF hosted CVS to git on github

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 17 16:54:10 UTC 2011

Dear EMBOSS team,

Have you made any decisions regarding the proposal to
move the EMBOSS repository from CVS hosted by the
OBF to git hosted on github (where most of the other OBF
backed projects are now)?

I see this made it to the minutes of the 27 June 2011 meeting:
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/meetings/2011-06-27.html

As I recall from talking to Peter Rice at BOSC/ISMB 2011
in Vienna last month, EMBOSS currently uses a single branch
in CVS (like Biopython used to), so migrating the repository
to git shouldn't be too complicated.

I recommend in the short term maintaining a git mirror of the
CVS repository on github.com, which can be kept current
via a cron job running on the OBF server. You can then
treat this git repository as a read only mirror and continue
to make all commits via CVS.

During this interim period, external contributors can make
their own branches etc (without touching the official EMBOSS
repository) and send you patches. The internal developers can
also try this out as a way to get familiar with git gradually.

This is what we did with Biopython, and it worked very well.
I am happy to assist with this if you want. I think I made this
offer in person in Vienna, but I'm repeating it publicly now.

You might also be able to adopt the existing mirror
maintained by Pjotr Prins (CC'd), although that does
include a branch with BioLib work in it:
https://github.com/pjotrp/EMBOSS/

Regards,

Peter C.

P.S. You'll need to have a different project name on github
since emboss was used by Martin Bosslet back in Nov 2010.
How about emboss-prj or even open-bio for this?

P.P.S. This page seems to be missing:
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/meetings/2011-07-04.html

It is linked to from at least these two pages:
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/meetings/
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/meetings/2011-07-11.html