[emboss-dev] computed maximum forbidden in ACD ?

Guy Bottu gbottu at vub.ac.be
Tue Aug 17 18:43:58 UTC 2010

	Dear Peter and Alan,

I was doing some development on wrappers4EMBOSS when I noted the
following. The file blast.acd contains :

   integer: listsize [
     information: "Show only the n best scoring sequences that
                   satisfy E() cutoff"
     default: "500"
     minimum: "0"
   ]

   integer: align [
     information: "Show only alignments for the n first
                   sequences"
     default: "@(@($(listsize) < 250 ) ? $(listsize) : 250)"
     expected: "250"
     minimum: "0"
     maximum: "$(listsize)"                          (this is line 100)
     valid: "Integer 0 or more, but not < listsize"
   ]

When I run blast I get :

Error: File /OPT/emboss63/share/EMBOSS/acd/blast.acd line 100:
(wordsize) Attribute failrange: required with any calculated min/max

I am as good as certain that this behaviour has appeared with EMBOSS
version 6.3.0. In the past it was allowed to set a "maximum" that
depended on the choice of another parameter, and we can see that it
could occasionally make sense, but this seems from now on forbidden. I
this a bug or a feature ?

	Regards,
	Guy Bottu